Our nails are not just for styling. In fact, nails are responsible for reflecting your entire overall body health. Nail care is required by the body in order to keep healthy. They are indeed the entry point for many germs, and thus need to be kept clean at all times. Dermatologists also suggest special nail care techniques, so that your nails not only look good but also stay healthy from within.
Swelling or discoloring of nails is not normal and must be taken seriously. These small symptoms may be signs of some serious nail problems. In case you face any of these, consult your dermatologist as soon as possible. It must be noted that diabetics should take nail health even more seriously. People with poor circulation or diabetes need to make sure that their nails are healthy at all times, otherwise must seek some treatment after consulting with their dermatologist.
Taking care of your nails need not necessarily be time-consuming or expensive. These are just a few habitual changes that you can apply, so as to keep your nails strong and healthy. Some tips recommended by dermatologists in order to keep nails healthy are given below-
Tips For Healthy Nails
- Avoid biting fingernails.
- Do not bite or cut cuticles.
- Avoid using your nails as a tool for opening cans or other containers.
- For toenails, do not wear the same shoes every day.
- Keep your nails dry and clean at all times.
- Do not tear nails. Always use clippers or nail scissors for cutting purposes.
- Keep your toenails short and trim them regularly in order to avoid any injury.
- File your nails and keep them shaped.
- While cutting, try to round the tips of the nail. This would provide them with maximum strength.
- Toenails are sometimes thick and thus difficult to cut. In order to make it easier, soak your feet in warm water for a few minutes before you cut your toenails.
- In case of an ingrown toenail, visit a dermatologist. Do not try “digging out” them at any cost.
- To avoid the risk of fungal infections on toenails, wear flip-flops while at public pools or showers.
- If you are fond of wearing nail polish, make sure to give some break to your nails. Avoid wearing nail polish for a certain amount of time, periodically.
- Cuticles are the protective wall for your nails. They often tend to get dry and tear in some cases. In order to avoid this, make sure that your keep moisturizing your cuticles.
- One can also use a nailbrush to clean nails. Using pointy tools for cleaning may lead to infections in some people. Nailbrushes are a completely safe and effective alternative in order to avoid these infections.
- If you wash dishes, make sure to use dish gloves while doing so. Keeping your hands in contact with soapy water for a long time affects your nails. Wearing dish gloves while washing dishes solves this problem.
These were a few tips for keeping your nails healthy. Implement these tips in your day-to-day life, and get strong and healthy nails that look amazing as well! You don’t even need to spend any money on manicures. Just keep these tips in mind and voila!